Saturday, February 16, 2008

Stick to Brewing Because Baseball Isn't Your Thing

I'm glad I don't live in any of the surrounding areas encompassed by baseballs central division. This division is so mediocre! So lets start with the Milwaukee Brewers. Francisco Cordero is gone, and they came up with a wonderful replacement in Eric Gagne. Wonderfully bad, that is. Yeah, Gagne was good with Texas, but he's not anymore. He couldn't even pitch a good inning on a World Series winning team. Maybe Milwaukee will turn out to be just the right place for him, but I'm certainly not counting on it. If I join any fantasy leagues where you get points for the most blown saves, then Eric Gagne will be on my draft list.

Gagne pumping his fist in excitement because he can't believe he
still has a job in the Majors.


Ok now that I have my hatred for Gagne out of the way, lets get to the rest of the team. I see they have Guillermo Mota. Now there is a name I'm familiar with, being a mets fan. He was pretty good in 2006 with the Mets, when he was taking steroids. Or HGH. Whichever one it was made him a decent relief guy. But then in 2007 when he came back after his suspension, and presumably not taking any illegal performance enhancers, he sucked big time. Besides that though, how can you want someone on your team who has listed in their biography on brewers.com that he is an experienced dominoes player!? Yeah, I'm sure thats gonna help the Brewers create a huge gap in the NL Central this year. What were the Mets thinking when they let this expert dominoes player go!!!?!? Thats more valuable than acquiring some scrubby pitcher like Johan Santana.

More pitching woes for them Brew Crew. Ben Sheets, when hes healthy hes good. But he is not healthy a lot of the time, which isn't very good. And then their #2 starter, Jeff Suppan, whose career ERA of 4.61 doesn't look too great to me. I remember him last year being the Best Starter in Baseball for a part of the beginning of the season. How the hell did that happen? And foolish little me, I picked him up in one of my fantasy leagues from the waiver wire. Of course when I did that he reverted to the real Jeff Suppan and started being mediocre, like the team he plays for. So in other words, the Brewers pitching staff isn't great.

Now for offense. Look for Prince Fielder to tear it up again; How could he not with a name like Prince? Last year he improved his batting average over the previous year by 16 points (.288), and I think he has a shot at batting .300 this coming season. He will definitely be in the top in Home Runs again as well I think. Maybe we'll even see another inside the park HR from him! My next favorite offensive player is definitely Ryan Braun, the Rookie of the Year in the NL for the 2007 season (He did win that, right?). He had an awesome rookie year batting over .300 and hitting 34 home runs. He supposedly wasn't a great fielder, I wouldn't really know since I haven't ever really watched a Brewers game, but last season he was at third base. This coming season he has been shifted to left field, so defense shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as he doesn't have a Johnny Damon arm. I look for him to produce a similar season as he did last year.

The Brewers have also added Mike Cameron to be their new center fielder. Hes got some good defense and speed, but he is atrocious at the plate, and with their crappy pitching, Mr. Cameron won't really be helping the team much no matter how many good plays in the outfield he makes. But of course, him being an ex-Met, I have a special place in my heart for him. J.J. Hardy was a fluke last year in the first half of the season, hitting like a million home runs everyday.

Overall I've never liked the Brewers, and this season they're still not giving me a reason to like them , but they still have a shot at winning the division since the rest of the division sucks as well. Hopefully they won't though.

Peace out Cub Scouts,
Mike


Statistical info courtesy brewers.com Pictures courtesy random websites I found on Google

3 comments:

Paul said...

I'd build my team around experienced dominoes players.

I actually really like the Brewers. They're young and exciting to me. Prince Fielder is like the Mo Vaughn reincarnate. I think a big component to the Brewers success/failure this year will be Rickie Weeks. He's a great player (and walks a ton) but he's been plagued by chronic wrist problems. If his wrists are finally healthy, he'll be a great table setter batting ahead of Corey Hart, Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder. Perhaps Bill Hall can have a resurgence at the plate and at third base and contribute too. He's a better player than he was last year. Their pitching is suspect however. Ben Sheets is great but an injury risk. I really feel that they need Capuano to be a true contender. If he's back to his '06 form, him, a healthy Sheets and Yovani Gallardo are a great 3. At which point Suppan, Dave Bush and Villanueva are decent enough to be a 4 and a 5. Their bullpen is also weird. Adding Gagne and Salomon Torres (who looks extremely excited to be a Brewer in his file photo)could work out and with those two and Turnbow they could have a decent bullpen. But those are big question marks...

A Brancato said...

Yeah I do think they have a solid team as well. The Brewers, Astros, and Cubs should be tight atop the Central.

Paul said...

I dunno man, the Astros pitching and bullpen is just so terrible to me. Their offense is rather stacked except Tejada has a plethora of problems and they're batting Hunter Pence 6th (or at least saying they will). Provided the Brewers and Cubs don't suffer any massive injuries a la Derek Lee in '06 I think they'll be in the lead with the Reds and Astros making strides and being competitive, but not really in the playoff hunt...