Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Rays' New Stadium

Since I know everyone who reads this (does anyone read this?) cares so much about the [Formerly Devil] Rays, I figured I'd post a link showcasing their new planned stadium. The Mets and the Yankees are each getting new stadiums in 2009, which we all should know by now. While both new facilities appear beautiful and luxurious (Yankee stadium is even planning to have a martini bar, mmm hedonism), I thought it was odd that both stadiums are designed to pay some sort of homage to older stadiums. This new Rays stadium is probably one of the coolest looking stadiums I've ever seen and could open as soon as 2012. It goes in the exact opposite direction of the two NY stadiums and has a rather futuristic design. The stadium is an open air stadium and even when the roof is closed it will still be open (don't make me explain, just click the link). It has a retractable transparent roof that will still let the sunlight in when it's closed. It's also right by the bay. I've heard some concerns with since it's always open, how will it deal with heavy rainstorms indigenous to the Tampa summers, but I'll just give the architects the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully it's not just all aesthetic flare and an inherently non-pragmatic design. Anyway, here is this link to it, judge for yourself

New Tampa Bay Rays stadium

And just in case you're interested, here are links to the new Mets and Yankees stadiums

Citi Field (is that David Wright on the scoreboard?)

New Yankee Stadium (there's a link on there with a slideshow of pictures, otherwise that page is useless)

4 comments:

waldinho said...

Please note how much less expensive this new Rays stadium looks to cost than either CitiField or the new Yankee Stadium.

My question is this:
Are they keeping costs low by not hiring union contractors? I hope not, because I'm anticipating a commercial with Scott Kazmir in a hard-hat!

A Brancato said...

Haha, I'm not so sure how sturdy a roof that appears to have barely any beams supporting it can be.

Anyone else think the 52-year-old (in 2012) Julio Franco will find a way for the Rays in this stadium? Maybe that will be his way of "retiring", gliding along the open field in a sailboat.

Paul said...

Well it's a retractable roof and it's also transparent, so it's not steel. It's some sort of see-thru tarp thing. I'm totally feeling it, too many stadiums have this retro crap why are you gonna spend so much money to go backwards with the facade?

Paul said...

Yankee Stadium is obscenely expensive. Shea is somewhere in the 900k vacinity if I'm not mistaken. Thats still twice as much money as the new Rays stadium but I wonder how much of the price disparity can be chalked up to regional differences. Maybe it's just me, but isn't everything more expensive in New York City?