Sunday, March 23, 2008

Mess with Texas


Your favorite NL Central preview is back after an extended break! On the menu today are the Houston Astros, and why not start off with pitching?

Their Ace, of course, is Roy Oswalt. Just about seven years after his MLB Debut he has a career ERA of 3.07 with 112 wins and 54 losses. He's coming off a year true to his average numbers winning 14 games with half the losses and a 3.18 ERA. So I think it's safe to say that Oswalt is the focal point of this Houston pitching staff; it just goes way downhill after him (which is pretty much the trend in the NL Central). Their number two starter is Wandy Rodriguez. That's pretty terrible. Last season he was pushing nearly a 4.60 ERA with only 9 wins, and thats typical of him. Don't expect him to all of a sudden become a true #2 starter (but since I said that he will do amazing to spite me, because Wandy and I talk all the time and he likes to spite me). Following Wandy is a mediocre Brandon Backe, the old geezer Woody Williams, and Chris Sampson. Not impressive at all.

Meanwhile in the bullpen the Astros acquired closer Jose Valverde, who had 47 saves last season with a 2.66 ERA. So if the Astros manage to make it to the 9th inning with a slim lead, then I'd feel pretty confident in them getting the win with him on the mound.

On to offense, I must start with Kazuo Matsui! He had his best year in the majors last season with the Rockies, batting .288 with 32 stolen bases and, 4 homers and 37 RBI. Not that great for that being his best season. But then again, he's always getting injured; For instance, he is already slated to be on the DL at the start of this season!
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7250/news
Our fellow blogger, Jesse, brought this article to our attention. How silly! Only Kaz. I remember hearing about how he was sleeping and somehow one of his contacts cut his eye or something like that and he ended up on the DL (I think) for that. I don't wear contacts, but isn't it common sense not to wear them while you're sleeping anyway?

Now to real offensive players, the Astros aquired Miguel Tejada in the offseason to play short stop. Tejeada Will definitely provide a good bat for the Astros, but as you all know, I'm sure, he was involved with the whole Mitchell Report nonsense. I haven't been keeping up with it lately so I don't know whats going on with him, but I feel like he somehow won't be able to play a full season because of that. He shouldn't anyway if he's a cheater, but I guess if any division needs to cheat its definitely the NL Central, thats for sure! Too bad the Astros don't have Pettitte and Clemens anymore.

Out in Left Field is Carlos Lee, who had a fantastic season last year, driving in 119 runs with an average slightly above .300 and 43 doubles. To me he is pretty much like Miguel Tejada, except, hopefully, not a cheater. So in other words, he's a reliable bat in this lineup. I'm looking for him to have a similar season as last year. Another player similar to Lee and Tejada is Lance Berkman, who plays first base and is hitting .300 in his career with 855 RBI, last season hitting .278 with 102 RBI and 34 home runs. In Center Field is Michael Bourn. I don't know why, but for some reason I like him. Maybe its his name, Bourn is a cool last name (Paul knows all about my cool name draft policy from 2006). He's young though and this will be his first season as a starter; I think he may be exciting to watch. Last season in 119 at bats he hit 3 doubles and 3 triples with 18 stolen bases; he's got some speed obviously.

Now on to my favorite player on this team, Hunter Pence. Like Bourn, this will also be his first full season as a starter. Last season he was called up to fill in for an injury (I believe) and he tore it up! He hit .322 with 17 home runs, 69 RBI, 30 doubles and 9 triples in 108 games. I think he will do just as well this season (and he better since he's on one of my fantasy teams!) and if not, he's young so look to him to shape up to be one of the best, consistent hitters in the majors in a few years.

So the Astros have a decent offensive lineup with Tejada, Lee, Berkman and Pence, but I'm not so sure thats enough to make up for their horrible starting pitching staff. They should find a way to clone Oswalt 4 times, and then I'd put my money on them making it to the World Series.

2 comments:

waldinho said...

Mikey --

Agree with you here. The Astros are pretty mediocre and I will never understand why mediocre teams try to build around a closer.

Having watched Bourn a bit with Philadelphia last season, it will be interesting to see if he can make an impact in Houston. If I had to compare him to someone I'd say he is sort of like a Dave Roberts.

Hunter Pence can hit, though he may be the ugliest man -- not just in baseball -- but in all of Texas. And I don't care what your image at the beginning of this article says, when it comes to being ugly, you don't mess with Texas.

I feel like their future must have taken some kind of a hit when they traded for Tejada, though I don't know all that much about the players they gave up.

-wal

sexy shemale stories said...

I started the tape and her mouthdropped. ``I heard CNNs Talkback Live today is going to be discussing Michael.
adult baby stories
young teen sex stories
femdom hypnosis stories
free family sex stories
voyeur masturbation stories
I started the tape and her mouthdropped. ``I heard CNNs Talkback Live today is going to be discussing Michael.