Friday, August 15, 2008

Come Put Me Out of My Misery / 'Cause I'm Not Dead (I'm in Pittsburgh)


Greetings, y'all, I am communicating with you via world wide web from beautiful Harmarville, Pennsylvania, just outside Pittsburgh. Today's title comes from Frank Black's song which you can listen to at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDLqJndTdQY -- a chill, laid-back song which makes me wonder where in tarnation Debaser came from.

Anyway, a quick review of PNC Park for all the Leatherheads that haven't had the good fortune to visit it. If you're in the area, definitely stop by. The stadium is situated in such a way as to overlook a couple of really sweet bridges. The seats were incredible (just a few rows off the field down the rightfield line) and were so affordable (just 20 bucks) that being a Mets fan makes me want to cry. Another great feature of the arena (and this is beginning to be customary for all the new ballparks) is that you can walk around the whole stadium. Citizens Bank Park (the new Phillies stadium) was constructed likewise.

In fact, PNC very much reminded me of CBP, except everything was so much lower, so much closer to the field. At the risk of alienating all the Phillies fans who read this, I have to give credit where it is due. PNC Park came first -- and it's better.

The seats were not situated perfectly for sight-lines, which was kind of annoying because you were sort of craning your neck the whole game to see the pitches, but other than that I really don't have any complaints.

Plus, there was a fireworks show with REO Speedwagon performing following the game (if that's what you're into. For me, it's not. No offense to all you REO Speedwagon Leatherheads out there).

Since this is a baseball site, I'm not going to review the city, and I really didn't have enough time to get to know it well, but the folks that I did meet (everyone from the ushers at the stadium to the bartender after the game) were all very nice. The title of this post is not indicative of the experience I've had here whatsoever.

PNC Grades:
Biggest advantages: Beautiful park, very affordable
Biggest drawbacks: Having to watch the Pirates play
Overall mark: A-

2 comments:

A Brancato said...

Nice. Too bad it wasn't a few weeks earlier or you could have caught Xavier Nady and Jason Bay. But I'm sure Nate McLouth will give you all the excitement you'll ever need to adequately enjoy a Pirates game!

But damn $20, we'll be lucky if that will get us back row uppers at CitiField next year.

waldinho said...

Anthony --

We'll be lucky if $20 will get us a parking spot at CitiField next year.

Highly recommend the stadium. Cleveland (Progressive (AKA Jacobs) Field tomorrow!)

-wal