Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Randolph Sent Off

Oi! I am back, after a 5 thousand year absence (or what seems to be that long). Sorry, I am not writing about the NL Central in my triumphant return. No, instead, I am writing about my favorite team, which I hate with a passion at the moment. It sucks that the Mets keep losing but I could sort of handle that since, historically, the Mets suck. But honestly, do they really think that firing Willie Randolph is going to help?

First of all, that's a horrible way to handle business; firing the guy a little after midnight, when he's hundreds of miles away from home (I'm assuming he lives in NY; makes sense, right?) And they won the game too! At least fire him after a loss if you're gonna do it at midnight on the west coast! And not only that, but like 2 or 3 weeks ago when Randolph sat down with Minaya and whoever else, Minaya said that Randolph's job was secure. I find it hard to believe that it went from secure to nonexistent in just a few weeks time; what a liar! And they also fired Rick Peterson!! Why!? I think Peterson is an excellent pitching coach. He's done a pretty good job with John Maine, and just look at how far Oliver Perez has come since that abysmal season in Pittsburgh when he was 3-13.

So I really don't think Willie deserved to get fired. Yeah, that collapse at the end of last season sucked major ass, but can you place the blame squarely on him? The Mets were in first for pretty much the entire season and then they fall apart at the last minute; to me obviously it's not something that the manager is doing wrong, otherwise they'd been losing from the start. And now you have this season and the team isn't performing up to expectations but they're only 1 game under .500; it's not like a team can't come back from that. Even if they don't, I'd have liked to see him have the opportunity to finish out the season and then get fired if thats what they want to do.

I guess living in NY I should come to expect things like this, since you're supposed to be amazing all the time, just like last season when the yankees were sucking everyone was talking about firing Torre. I'll leave you guys with just one name to say.....Bobby Valentine!

5 comments:

Paul said...

The Mets suck.

A Brancato said...

Yeah, I'm gonna write a follow up article about Randolph, McLaren, Bavasi, and Krivsky. I'll put that up tomorrow.

Paul said...

Don't forget Gibbons!

waldinho said...

I was going to post something about all those chumps, too, but I was waiting for the axe to fall on Ricciardi first. Now that you'll take the time and effort I can watch Felix Hernandez strike out 17 Mets tonight.

Anonymous said...

Mets isnt in my favorite list.