Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mike Piazza Retires after 19 Seasons

Statement courtesy of Adam Rubin and the Daily News

Mike Piazza officially retired from baseball today. Here’s a statement, released through his agent Dan Lozano:

After 19 wonderful years, I have come to the decision to officially retire from Major League Baseball. At this point in my career and after discussing my options with my wife, family and agent, I felt it is time to start a new chapter in my life. It has been an amazing journey and everything I have, I owe to God, for without His help, none of this would be possible. He blessed me with the ability to play the greatest game in the world and it has been a dream come true.

piazzabye.JPGIn June of this year, it will be 20 years ago when the Los Angeles Dodgers organization selected me in the 62nd round of the amateur draft and I’m sure neither of us saw this coming.

I would like to start off by thanking Peter O’Malley and the Dodger organization for giving me the opportunity 20 years ago…you gave me birth to a life that never in my wildest dreams did I think was possible.

I’d like to thank Fred Wilpon, Nelson Doubleday and the New York Mets organization for giving me an opportunity to fulfill yet another dream, playing in a World Series. Steve Phillips, for not just bringing me to New York, but for having the confidence and vision to keep me in a Met uniform long-term. Within the eight years I spent in New York, I was able to take a different look at the game of baseball…I wasn’t just a young kid that was wet behind the ears anymore - I was learning from other veteran guys like Johnny Franco, who taught me how to deal with the pressures of playing in New York and Al Leiter who knew what it took to win a World Championship. That knowledge is what helped me play for as long as I have and enjoy the career that I had. I’d like to thank New York Mets clubhouse manager, Charlie Samuels for always being on the same page and one step ahead of me.

Kevin Towers and Mr. Wolff are two gentlemen that I wish to thank for allowing me to keep the sun from setting just a little while longer. To all of my teammates with whom I shared the field of battle, thanks for the countless memories.

To the managers along the way that brought out the best in me - Tommy Lasorda, Bobby Valentine, Art Howe…and in limited time together, Jim Leyland, Willie Randolph, Bruce Bochy and Bob Geren - it was a pleasure playing for all of you. I’d also like to thank all of the major and minor league staffs that played a part in the development of my career - I couldn’t have done it without all of you.

To the media - I thank you for the overall fairness of your reporting throughout my career, although erroneous at times, I think we had a pretty good relationship over the years and some of you I’ll never forget.

I’d like to thank my agent, Dan Lozano and everyone else behind the scenes at the Beverly Hills Sports Council for taking care of me my entire career. Danny is like a brother to me and without his guidance and patience, I wouldn’t be where I am today.

To my family who I love so much…mom and dad, you always believed in me, sometimes more than I believed in myself…you were always there with love and support. To my brothers, for always being in my corner, no matter what. Being able to share the joys of being a big leaguer with you guys over all of these years made my career, our career…and I don’t think it would have been the same any other way.

My beautiful wife Alicia. These last few years were as new for you as they were for me. Through the different cities and the birth of our amazing daughter, Nicoletta, I am eternally grateful to have you by my side. The thought of what the future has in store for us, brings a smile to my face because I can’t wait to start the newest chapter of both our lives, together. You truly are an angel and I am blessed to have you as my wife. I love you.

Last but certainly not least, I can’t say goodbye without thanking the fans. I can’t recall a time in my career where I didn’t feel embraced by all of you. Los Angeles, San Diego, Oakland and Miami - whether it was at home or on the road, you were all so supportive over the years. But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn’t have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

So today, I walk away with no regrets. I knew this day was coming and over the last two years, I started to make my peace with it. For 19 years, I gave it my all and left everything on the field.

God bless and thanks for a wonderful ride.


Here's a fan-recorded view of the video tribute to Mike Piazza at Shea, his final day as a Met:

6 comments:

waldinho said...

M V P!

I love how he thanked the media, though their reporting was "erroneous at times."

He should have thanked Roger Clemens for missing with the bat. His career might have been over sooner if the True Yankee had thrown javelin in high school.

-wal

Paul said...

Didn't the media in NY spread rumors about him being a homosexual? Or am I just making this up...

A Brancato said...

Nope, they did. I forgot why, I think it started with his blonde highlights.

waldinho said...

I'm pretty sure the Pert Plus commercials and pencil-thin sideburns didn't help matters any. Or the fact that he actually had a press release to say he wasn't gay. I mean, come on, didn't the guy go to middle school? The only way to deflect the old "gay" joke is reverse psychology.


By the way . . . I may be way behind or something here, but has Mike Piazza ever said he wanted to coach at some point? I know that the best players often make terrible coaches, but I think Piazza would be a completely different case because he wasn't a natural talent or whatever and had to work his way up. What does anybody think of this?

-wal

A Brancato said...

Well, it seems to be universally believed that catchers make the best coaches because they are used to calling a game (Pinella, Girardi, Scoscia).

I agree with that sentiment, but of course there's always room for error. Like AJ Pierzynski, would NOT make a good coach.

Piazza, well, I see no reason why he wouldn't have a future as a hitting coach. I donno though, I just don't see the guy running a team.

Unknown said...

A month later and no one will probably ever read it now, but Torre was a catcher too.